Tuesday, October 16, 2007

hw21: dear ethan

Hey Ethan,
I know reading the first chapter of Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own is kind of tricky, but I’ll help you get through it. At first, I didn’t really understand what she was talking about either, then I read it over again, slowly, and finally understood it. Basically, in the first chapter of this book, Woolf is talking about women and fiction. She says that a woman should have her own room and money to write fiction. Woolf spends most of the first chapter on a river bank at Oxbridge wondering about women and fiction. She talks about women and college and how the whole idea of it started and wonders why women have always been so poor. The weird thing about this book, is that the narrator isn’t Virginia Woolf herself, she says that it doesn’t really matter who is telling this story.. that’s why it’s still a little confusing to me. Your English teacher might find this book to be important because it’s a different way of showing a person’s opinion and their feelings. She also might find this an important piece of work because it shows a different type of insight into the accomplishment of women over the years. I hope this helped you a little, if you need anything else just let me know!
-Em

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Excellent work.
Is HW 22 in the works?