Wednesday, October 24, 2007

hw24: a room of my own

I have a room of my own, I actually have two rooms of my own. Both of my rooms sum up my life in general pretty well. My room at home is an average sized bedroom with the normal bedroom furniture in it. What makes my bedroom at home different from the one I have at school is that it has more of my character and personal touches to it. By personal touches I mean that there are more pictures of things that I love, like my family and friends, and there are more things in there that sum up my accomplishments in life. There are also little nick-nacks in my bedroom at home that show more of my personality. This isn’t to say that my room at school is boring and has no personal flare, but it just doesn’t have as much. I feel like I can’t bring everything from my room at home to my room at school because there isn’t really as much room here as at home. It’s also more difficult to bring little things from home and put them here because I’m sharing this room with another person and she has to have some room to live too. I do still have pictures of family and friends and things like that all around my room at school, just not as much as I do at home. I feel that Virginia Woolf would be able to appreciate both of my rooms because they are anything but boring and bland and they show a lot about how women’s lives have come a long way. It seems as though that the room she was put in was boring and bland and there wasn’t much to it because women weren’t really allowed to have their say in anything, especially what they wanted their rooms to look like. Woolf writes "if we escape little from the common sitting room and see human beings not always in their relation to each other but in relation to reality.." (Woolf, 113). It seems to me that Woolf believes that women and men should not be constrained to one particular way of thinking or living and that they should react toward the opposite sex and anything that happens in their live realistically. Woolf further supports my opinion of wanting to live life realistically by saying "Let us admit in the privacy of our own society that these things sometimes happen" (Woolf, 82).

No comments: